Is Your Hair Loss Permanent?

Is Your Hair Loss Permanent?

Determining whether a man’s hair loss is permanent can be a really troublesome task. The reason why so many people struggle to find out whether their hair loss is permanent or temporary is because of their lack of knowledge about hair loss, its causes and its consequences. There are a number of different reasons for which a person can be affected by hair loss. If you are not sure of what has caused your hair loss, then you can never know for a fact whether it is here to stay or will disappear within a few days/weeks. To identify a cause, you need to be aware of the specific symptoms of each kind of hair loss. Read on to learn more about the process of hair loss and understand whether or not the hair or loss you are suffering from is permanent.

The Process of Hair Loss

The hair on your head grows all the time. Right now, as you are reading this piece of information, the hair follicles on your head are being stimulated. As the hair follicles get stimulated, the hair shafts get longer and grow at a steady pace. The reason why you cannot notice your hair growth is because is because it is extremely slow. It is almost like trying to track the movement of the sun with your naked eye. At any given time, 90% of your hair is experiencing growth. What about the remaining 10%? The remaining portion of your hair or 10% of your hair is in a so called vegetative state. In other words, 10% of your hair stays inactive at all times. This hair is said to be going through the telogen phase of the hair cycle. The period of inactivity precedes hair shedding. This means that all the hair strands that are now inactive will eventually fall out of your scalp in a period of a couple of months.

When the inactive hair strands are shed, new hair strands are grown to replace them. In a healthy scalp, the percentage of hair in the telogen phase will always be around 10%. If this percentage increases for one reason or the other, then you will be faced with hair loss issues. Hair loss occurs in individuals whose hair does not grow back or fails to grow back within a certain time period. If your hair growth is slowed down, then you are a strong candidate for being the next hair loss victim in the world.

Temporary Hair Loss

A lot of people have the misconception that hair loss is permanent. Just because you have one or two bald spots in your head does not mean that those bald spots will remain exposed for the rest of your life. Depending on the kind of hair loss that you are experiencing, there is always a realistic chance of you growing new hair with which you can cover up those bald spots. Hair growth after a prolonged or short period of hair loss is indeed a possibility. The following are some of the cases of hair loss where the balding disappears after a certain period of time.

Trauma Induced Hair Loss

Some people can suffer from hair loss after going under the knife or surviving a serious illness. This is a case of physical and mental trauma taking over to trigger hair loss in the body. More often than not, trauma induced hair loss is temporary and does not tend to be a recurring condition (there are quite few exceptions though). You can experience hair loss for up to four months following the illness or the surgery. However, once the hair loss stops, your hair will grow at its original pace and you will soon have a head full of beautiful hair locks.

Pregnancy and Childbirth

Women can undergo temporary hair loss during periods of pregnancy. Once pregnancy is done with and once the woman recovers from the health complications associated with childbirth, she will regain her normal hair growth.

Hormonal Imbalance and Thyroid Malfunction

Hormonal problems, especially those that are related to the thyroid, can be a primary cause of temporary hair loss in your body. This type of hair loss can be easily alleviated by treating the thyroid or the part of the endocrine system which is creating the hormonal imbalance.

Permanent Cases of Hair Loss

Now that you have a clear idea of the types of hair loss that are known to be temporary, it is time for you to focus on the permanent hair loss conditions. Male pattern baldness leads to permanent hair loss. This occurs in those who have a genetic predisposition for baldness. Female pattern baldness is also quite similar to male pattern baldness and is a permanent hair loss disorder. Once you have either of these, there is not much that you can do to stop your hair loss. You can slow down the progression of hair loss, but that will only delay your balding and not prevent it. You will also be quite disappointed to find out that roughly 9 out of 10 cases of balding can be attributed to male pattern baldness.