Going bald is not exactly the end of the world. There are a lot of men and women who have pulled off the bald look in spectacular fashion. They aren’t ashamed or apologetic about the fact that they have no hair on their head. If you are losing your hair, you can follow in the footsteps of stylish bald men and women and shave off your hair to give yourself a look that people will not forget. That being said, you need to remember that the bald look does not suit everyone in the world. Different people have heads of different shapes and sizes. Depending on the kind of head you have, the absence of the crowning jewel could make you look quite incomplete and awkward.
Sporting the bald look is a bigger problem for people with thinning hair. Hair loss does not usually occur at a rapid rate. It takes years of time for you to finally lose all of your hair. In other words, the process of hair thinning is very long indeed. People with thinning hair may find it particularly difficult to pull off the bald look as they are always in a dilemma. Should you shave off the hair and clear all the bald patches or should you grow your hair longer and hide the bald patches? This dilemma puts people with thinning hair in a place between a rock and a hard place.
Thinning hair should not be ignored under any circumstances. You may think that it is not going to lead to a major problem, but that is simply a faulty assumption that most people make. If left untreated, hair thinning is going to result in baldness. Once you become bald, there is no way for you to get your precious locks back unless you spend an extravagant amount of money on surgical hair restoration procedures.
Causes of Hair Thinning
You need to understand the reasons for which your hair is thinning out before you can go about treating this ailment. Here are some of the most common reasons why people experience hair thinning:
4) Emotional Stress
6) Thyroid Complications
7) Rapid weight gain or drastic weight loss
8) Disorders of the pituitary gland
9) Chronic ailments
10) Liver cirrhosis
11) Vitamin A Overdose
12) Iron Deficiency or Malnutrition
These are just some of the causes of hair thinning. Hair loss can take place because of several other reasons as well, which are less likely to have an effect on your hair than the ones mentioned above.
Types of Drugs Which Could Lead to Hair Thinning
People who are suffering from hair loss problems need to be very careful about the kind of drugs that they are taking on a regular basis. This is because the use of certain drugs can trigger hair thinning in individuals with weakened hair follicles. Examp1les of such drugs are given below:
4) Drugs for treating ulcer such as famoridine, ratidine
5) Birth control pills
6) Diet pills
8) Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
9) Drugs for treating thyroid ailments
Be sure to consult your physician before you stop using any of these drugs. Regulating the dosage of drugs can sometimes be enough to prevent hair thinning. Hence, there may not be a dire need for you to give up these drugs completely.
How to Handle Hair Thinning
Getting your hair thinning under control is all about taking certain proactive steps that will make it less likely for your hair to fall off the scalp. If you are feeling helpless and are not sure of how to stop or slow down your hair thinning, then take heed of the following tips:
1) Assess the extent of the problem. This can be done without the help of a hair loss specialist or a consultant
2) Identify the areas where hair thinning is the worst. Once you figure out the balding pattern, you will be able to come up with a much better solution.
3) Keep track of how much hair you are losing every time you take a shower or comb your hair.
4) Visit a dermatologist or a hair loss consultant who can help you figure out the exact cause of your hair thinning. If you are visiting a physician, be sure to discuss problems such as high blood pressure, lupus, diabetes, scalp infection etc.
5) Make it a priority to keep your hair clean all the time. In order to do so, you have to reduce exposure to all sorts of contaminants.
6) People with thinning hair should not comb their hair when it is wet. Therefore, make sure that you air dry your hair before sliding the comb through it. Wet hair is weak and susceptible to damage.